Friday

Buildup to First Trip

After Paris, we've just been working away at researching and making contacts with people in America who we are going to interview etc.

The most important thing is that Marc Evans has come on board to direct the film. Katie and I met him in a Starbucks a few weeks ago for a coffee and to tell him about the story. Originally he thought he would be busy and though it best that the two of us get a camera and go, and make it a very homemade project. However, now Marc's free so it looks like he'll be coming and directing, which is great since it means I can concentrate on asking the questions and not have to worry about anything else.

We did an interview with Piers Bannister, Amnesty International's premiere on the death penalty and the author of their report on Mumia's case the other day.

He's a lovely guy and located in London, so it was an easy interview to do. Amnesty backed Mumia's case for a multitude of reasons it seems. Not only did they think that he had not had a fair trial, but also because as he had become a symbol and I think they thought it would help to raise awareness of the death penalty in general.

So far in America, the plan is to first interview my mum, Amy Goodman, Frances Goldin (Mumia's Literary Agent), Dave Lindorff (author), Linn Washington (Teacher and Mumia's Contemporary), Pam Africa (movement leader), and others.

I've also been speaking to the F.O.P or fraternal order of police. They are the leading campaigners against Mumia and are eagerly pursuing the death sentence. So far they have been very courteous to me, and I hope that they will partake in the film, as I want it to be balanced. After speaking with them though, I can already tell that they are very nervous about where I stand on the issues.

We're off in a couple of weeks.
More from me then.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger barbsperry said...

Yes, it is quite obvious were you stand!

You are a supporter of Mumia!

3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home